Egg And Spinach Gratinee
Gratinee means literally, to cook, au gratin.
Gratin is a culinary technique in which an ingredient is topped with a browned crust, often using breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg or an egg and butter mixture. Think mac and cheese as an example.
This is an incredibly easy dish to put together and it tastes absolutely amazing. Not only does it taste amazing but it works well for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Just pair it with a small mixed green salad and your meal is complete.
Egg And Spinach Au Gratin
Ingredients: mornay sauce, hard boiled eggs, sauteed spinach, browned garlic, and Jarlsberg cheese.
Divide the spinach and garlic between two oven proof bowls.
Slice the eggs and arrange on top of the spinach.
Ladle or pour the mornay sauce over the eggs.
Sprinkle some cheese over the top, and place under the broiler.
A Simple Gratinee Of Spinach Egg And Browned Garlic
- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes for the final dish, about 25 minutes overall
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced and browned in extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces baby spinach, wilted in olive oil
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup of Mornay sauce
- grated Jarlsberg cheese (Gruyere or Emmentaler will work, as well)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Divide the spinach between 2 oven proof bowls, or gratin dishes if you have them, I don’t. Divide the browned garlic and sprinkle over the spinach. Top each bowl with a hard boiled egg, and a ladle of béchamel. To this sprinkle some grated cheese over the top.
- Place the bowls on a sheet pan and put under the broiler. Cook until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the sauce is bubbly.
- Place on a plate and serve.
- When the bowls come out from under the broiler they are going to be blazing hot. Take a clean plate and line it with a folded cloth napkin and place the bowl on the napkin. The napkin will keep the bowl from sliding on the plate and the plate will allow you to handle the dish without oven mitts.
- Mornay sauce is simply béchamel sauce with gruyere cheese added to it. In this case I added Jarlsberg cheese to the béchamel.
Tags: gratinee, gratin recipes, spinach au gratin, vegetable gratin recipe, spinach and egg gratin