Incredibly Easy Baked Beans Recipe
There is evidence to suggest that beans have been cultivated for over 7000 years, that's a lot of cultivation. The reason is they are an important food source.
Beans are flavorful, nutritionally dense, inexpensive and versatile, it
doesn't get better than that. No wonder, beans are a comfort food
I realize cooking dried beans takes more time than opening a can, but you'll be rewarded with far better flavor and texture. Not only that but making your own beans ensures that you know what went into them. So, give my easy baked beans a try, they are an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber and complex carbohydrates.
Easy Baked Beans Soup With Smoked Ham Hocks
Whether you bake your beans or cook them on the stove top doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally I almost always bake my beans for a couple of reasons: by baking the beans you are cooking them with radiated heat, rather than heat applied to the bottom of the pot. Since beans take a long time to cook there is far less chance of scorching them when you bake them. Additionally, by baking the beans it is mostly a set it and forget it operation, other than the occasional need to check level of the liquid once or twice. That beats having to frequently stir the beans on the stove top.
beans out on a sheet pan and sort through them to pick out any shriveled or
broken beans, stones or debris.
Damaged, shriveled, and broken beans, stones and debris from the beans.
Rinse the sorted beans well under cold, running water.
soak the beans by placing the beans in a pot and adding
enough water to cover the beans by 2-inches. When they are ready, drain the beans in a strainer or colander and rinse under running water.
Ingredients for baked beans: chicken stock, smoked ham hocks, onions, garlic, celery, and jalapeno chilies.
Add enough olive oil to a large stock pot to coat the bottom of the
pot. Get the oil hot and lightly brown the ham hocks in the oil. Remove
and set aside.
Add the onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeno to
the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute over medium heat
until the onion is translucent and just beginning to brown.
Add the ham hocks back in, along with the beans.
Add the chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans by an inch.
Easy baked beans are the best baked beans.
An Easy Baked Beans Recipe For The Best Baked Beans Ever
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: Varies from 1 to 4 hours
- 1 pound great northern beans, or any white bean
- 1 pinch baking soda
- EVO to coat pan
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 small ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- water to cover
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Sort the dried beans by spreading out the beans on a sheet pan and sort through them to pick out any shriveled or broken beans, stones or debris. Remember beans are a raw agricultural product and often there is debris in the bag, along with the beans.
- Once the beans are sorted rinse the sorted beans well under cold, running water.
- Soaking beans before cooking helps to remove some of those indigestible sugars that cause flatulence. There are two simple ways to soak beans.
- Put beans into a large bowl and cover with 2 to 3 inches of cool, clean water. Soak the beans overnight in the refrigerator.
- Alternatively, you can quick soak the beans by placing the beans in a pot and adding enough water to cover the beans by 2-inches. Add a pinch of baking soda. Bring to a full rolling boil, cover, and remove from heat. let stand for 2-hours.
- Whichever method you choose, after soaking, drain the beans through a sieve or colander, discarding the soaking water. Rinse the beans and set aside.
- If you soak your beans overnight you can add a pinch of baking soda to the beans, after you add the stock and water. Baking soda will aid in softening the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Add enough olive oil to a large stock pot to coat the bottom of the pot. Get the oil hot and lightly brown the ham hocks in the oil. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeno to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute over medium heat until the onion is translucent and just beginning to brown.
- Add the ham hocks back in, along with the beans. Add the chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans by an inch.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a full boil. Cover with a lid and transfer the pot to the preheated oven. Bake until the beans are soft and cooked through, about 2-hours. Periodically check the liquid to be sure that too much hasn't evaporated. If needed add a little water.
- At the same time that you are checking the level of the liquid test the beans to see if they are done. They should be soft through with no resistance.
- Adding acidic ingredients can toughen the beans and make it difficult to get soft beans.
- Contrary to popular myth adding salt will not toughen beans.
recipe is great for white beans. While I used great northern beans in
this recipe you can substitute any beans you like, just be aware that
different beans impart different flavors. Additionally different beans have different cooking times.
Tags: easy baked beans, baked beans recipe, best baked beans, baked bean soup