Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Recipe
There are two grades for yellowfin tuna, "sashimi" and "other". Thus, it is widely used in raw fish dishes, like sashimi, as well as often being served as seared rare ahi. It also works very well for grilling.
One of my favorite methods of preparation is sesame crusted seared rare ahi tuna, with wasabi mashed potatoes. It is just a great dish. Not only does it taste great but the tuna takes 10 minutes. You gotta love that!
Sesame Crusted Ahi With Wasabi Mashed Potatoes And Sautéed Spinach
Ahi Tuna Steaks
Season the tuna with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Mix the sesame seeds together on a flat plate.
Dredge the tuna steaks in the sesame seeds and sear over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Sesame crusted ahi with wasabi mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach. Finish the plates with a drizzle of olive oil, a little siracha, and a few drops of sesame oil.
Sesame Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna Recipe With Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tuna steaks, 6 to 8 ounces
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 3/4 ounce / 20 grams white sesame seeds
- 3/4 ounce / 20 grams black sesame seeds
- Peanut oil to coat the pan
- Sesame oil
- Season the tuna with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Mix the sesame seeds together on a flat plate.
- Dredge the tuna steaks in the sesame seeds, making sure to completely coat the steak.
- Place a saute pan over high heat and get it smoking hot. Add enough peanut oil to coat the pan. Add a few drops of sesame oil to the peanut oil. Tilt and swirl the pan to mix and immediately add the tuna.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side and remove to a clean plate.
- If you want well done tuna, cook it over a lower heat setting. If you try and hit well done over high heat the outside will burn before the center is done.
- If you haven't worked with sesame oil be aware that it is very strong. A small amount goes a very long way.
Tags:ahi tuna recipe, ahi tuna steaks, seared ahi tuna