Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers With Habanero Lime Mint Jelly
Baked jalapeno poppers make a great snack, appetizer, or first coarse. This jalapeno poppers recipe uses the sweetness of the jelly to temper the heat from the jalapenos and habaneros.
They are versatile, meaning you can change them to suit your individual preference or create them around a particular theme. You can wrap them in bacon and roast them or smoke them, like I do, or bread them and fry them. You can stuff them with queso fresco, cheddar cheese, smoked cheese, cheese and chilies, or carnitas and cheese. Really just about anything goes and your friends will love them.
Bacon Wrapped Baked Jalapeno Poppers With Habanero Lime Mint Jelly
- Yield: varies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 6 jalapenos
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 oz queso fresco
- 2 limes, cut into supremes
- 1/4 habanero chile, minced
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves, thin sliced
- 1 cup sugar or to taste
- pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325° F. (160° C.)
For The Jalapeno Poppers
- Using a paring knife make a slit lengthwise along each of the chilies. Gently squeeze each chile between your thumb and forefinger to open the slit. Using the paring knife cut out the pith and scrape out all of the seeds.
- Next place about an ounce of cheese inside each chile.
- Once all the chilies are stuffed wrap each chile with a piece of bacon.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in 325 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until chilies are soft and bacon is beginning to crisp.
For The Jelly
- Cut the ends of of both limes. Then stand the lime on a cutting board and using a paring knife slice down the lime following the contour of the lime. You are removing both the skin and outer pith. Make slices approximately 1/2 inch wide.
- Continue until the lime is peeled and the flesh is exposed. Then cut along each segment to remove the segments without any of the pith.
- Once you have the supremes cut place them in a small (1 qt) saucepan. Squeeze any excess juice from the pith and add it to the saucepan.
- Add the habanero and the mint leaves. Add the sugar and salt and give it a stir.
- Turn the heat to low and let it cook to the consistency of syrup, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange poppers on a plate and spoon the jelly over them. enjoy
When making the jelly, once all of the water from the lime is cooked out, the sugar will caramelize, rapidly. That's not what you want here, so, immediately remove it from the heat and transfer the jelly to another pot or bowl to stop the cooking.
Tags: baked jalapeno poppers, jalapeno poppers recipe, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers